Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

"David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
> I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html)
my
> problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2.   One experiment
> involved firing up CYGSERVER.  As mentioned in the previous thread,
the
> program went much much much further this way -- make check took about
13
> hours!

I'm hoping that this is because `make check' did more work rather than
cygserver somehow slowing down the process . . .

> In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors.  The CYGSERVER
emits
> dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
> everytime it gets called.  This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
> be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up.  Three screenshots are
> attached fro the make  check run.

It's just being warm and cuddly, like Robert Collins mentioned: I've
made it less friendly, as Nicholas Wourms mentioned :-)

> What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
> the stdout redirection.  For example, the make check not only ran for
13
> hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or
failure.

This I don't understand and cannot recreate any such problem.  That is,
with cygserver running, redirection of both stdout and stderr work fine
in my little tests.  Could you give more detail on exactly how stdout
redirection is "defeated"?

BTW, I'm running on win2k just now: which platform are you using?
Perhaps the output of `cygcheck -s -v -r' would help matters here.

Also, as Nicholas mentioned, if you're using any version of cygserver
other than the development one on the cygwin_daemon branch, you'll need
to clean up its droppings after it's done otherwise everything runs very
slowly: that is, remove the /tmp/cygdaemo socket file if you're not
running cygserver anymore.

HTH,

// Conrad