Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

Robert Collins wrote:

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 11:43, David A. Cobb wrote:

I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html) my
problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2. One experiment
involved firing up CYGSERVER. As mentioned in the previous thread, the
program went much much much further this way -- make check took about 13
hours!

In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors. The CYGSERVER emits
dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
everytime it gets called. This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up. Three screenshots are
attached fro the make check run.

Thats what it is, simply some feedback. When cygserver starts to provide
significant functionality, that may get removed. Or at least that was my
plan before I handed it over to Conrad.

As I said, it's kinda nice when running something that just sits and computes for 13 hours without feedback. It would be nicer, however, if it were switchable!
*And really nice if there were at least a /usr/doc/cygwin/cygserver.readme* Nothing fancy, just tell what we should expect and what to be wary of.

What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
the stdout redirection. For example, the make check not only ran for 13
hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or failure.

That is very unexpected. The HEAD code for cygserver supported normal
and tty operation without any regressions from having cygserver not
running, when I merged it.

Are you sure that that is the cause?

I'm very glad Nicholas confirmed it! My "proof" is simply two totally different behaviors depending only on the status of CYGSERVER. Things as complex as configure and make are really nasty to debug!

Rob

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.