Re: Beginner- need help in understanding

Nehal,

This one comes under the "Cygwin is not Unix" (nor Linux) category.

Cygwin does not include its own file system--it uses those of the underlying Windows operating system on which it runs. That means FAT (FAT-16 and FAT-32 as well) and under Windows NT, 2000 or XP, NTFS are generally available. Remote file system accessed via Windows File Sharing (which could include ext2 file systems via Samba, e.g.) are also accessible from Cygwin. If you installed other 3rd-party file system drivers on your Windows system, then the contents of such file systems would also be available in Cygwin, too.

Otherwise, no file systems are rendered accessible by virtue of installing Cygwin itself.

To answer your other question, installing Cygwin will not impair, impede, curtail nor foreclose access to any capabilities, software or facilities already installed and working on your PC.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA