Re: crontab: no changes made

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Uwe Mayer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I start "crontab -e" it won't run, because I haven't vi
> installed. I remembered reading something about an EDITOR or VISIBLE
> environment variable, though I couldn't find it any more. Thus I set

The correct name for the variable is VISUAL, although EDITOR also works.

> export EDITOR=emacs
>
> Then crontabs starts up emacs, editing a temporary file (i.e.
> /tmp/cron.1900)
> However, when I close emacs (with or without saveing changes to the
> tmp file) crontab displays "crontab: no changes made to crontab".
>
> Where's the flaw?
>
> Thanks
> Uwe

Do you use the Cygwin port of emacs, or NT Emacs?  If it's NT Emacs, you
may not be editing the right file, as it doesn't understand Cygwin paths.
Search the archives for an appropriate invocation script that would do the
path translation for you.

If you are running Cygwin emacs, make sure it's writing the file in place.
In a separate shell, check that the inode number of the temp file is the
same before and after emacs has written the changes (using 'ls -i').
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51