Re: grep -i -R path32 * vs grep -i -R path32 *.vb*

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Aldi Kraja wrote:

> Hi,
> My info shows man pages. After one executes info grep,
> press n for next page or p for previous. Also if one goes over the page
> press open and the respective man pages will be open.
> HTH,
> Aldi
>

> >'info' is supposed to display man pages, too.  I see that the current
> >release doesn't allow that, though.

Aldi,

'info' does not show manpages, 'info' shows info pages from $INFOPATH
(/usr/info and /usr/local/info by default, IIRC).  The info pages are
hypertext linked documents that are sometimes more structured and complete
than manpages.  Manpages are essentially single-level formatted text
documents describing a program or function.  'info' will give up if an
info page for a particular program is not found, e.g.:

[pechtcha:~] info refer
No menu item `refer' in node `(dir)Top'.
<Nothing>
[pechtcha:~]

What I meant by 'pinfo' viewing the manpages is that 'pinfo' will display
the manpage if an info page cannot be found (or if a '-m' option is
specified), and in color, too, e.g.:

[pechtcha:~] pinfo refer
Przemek's Info Viewer v0.6.6p1
Error: could not open info file, trying manual
<The refer manpage>
[pechtcha:~]

I know I spoke up for 'pinfo' already, I'm just trying to set the record
straight about info pages vs. manpages.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51