Re: more questions about the setup program - using more than onemirror...

On 17 Oct 2002, Ed wrote:

> Howdy all!
> I'm using the Cygwin setup on my W2000 system.
> A while ago I asked the question: how do I know which mirror to
> select? Obviously some are going to be faster than others (perhaps
> also a lot closer).
> Someone here told me that I can select multiple sites and setup will
> select the fastest. Is that true?
>
> When I select multiple sites there are several problems. Firstly, it
> starts by downloading something from each of them, before I even
> select any packages to download.
>
> Secondly, it started to download stuff I already had. It started to
> download cygwin-1.3.13.2.tar.bz2. WHen I canceled and went back to
> using the same mirror that I first started with, it was able to get
> new packages without downloading anything I've already downloaded.
>
> Can anyone shed more light on how I am supposed to be using setup?
> Thanks!
> Ed

Ed,
The first thing you describe is perfectly normal.  Setup needs to download
setup.ini from each site you select to know which packages are available
there.
As for the second problem you're having...  Did you try installing
something you have definitely downloaded from one of the selected mirrors?
Or, for that matter, was the mirror you've originally downloaded
cygwin-1.3.12.2 from selected when you had this problem?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51