Re: ssh refuses to enter binmode (fwd)

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 06:39:12PM +0200, Sven K?hler wrote:
>>I recently posted a *specific* message saying that I thought I'd fixed
>>your *specific* problem.  This was after you reported that previous
>>snapshots didn't work.  It wasn't in response to a specific email from
>>you but, that really shouldn't be necessary.
>

>that true, but i tried the 20021017 snapshot already yesterday, and it
>didn't work - today it did work (don't ask me why, might be some
>dll-caching issue or somethin)

To quote from my email:

*>In the meantime, I've uploaded a new snapshot which works around this
*>problem.  Please try downloading it.
*>
*>http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
*>
*>You may have to hit refresh your browser to get the latest snapshot
*>since there has been more than one snapshot generated today.

>>So, apparently you're now just too upset to actually try the snapshot
>>which is supposed to fix your problem.  Too bad.
>
>I'm not upset, just a little disappointed, because sometimes i seem to
>be ignored. My personal farourite is the ghostscript7-textmount problem.
>that leads to some other questions:
>
>- is there a list of the maintainers? or where can i usually find the
>info who maintains the ghostscript-package?

cygwin-announce should provide you with the name of the maintainer but
that is really irrelevant.  All user correspondence about packages
should be via the mailing lists.  It really should be a public
discussion in 99% of the cases.

I have your message saved in my inbox to see if the ghostscript
maintainer will eventually respond.  I hate to bug people about this
because it's a volunteer project but, if I see a clear problem that has
a clear solution, then I try to eventually contact the maintainer about
it.  I don't do this for situations where someone says "XXX isn't
working! HELP!" of course.  But, the ghostscript problem sounds like it
has a clear solution, even if it isn't necessarily an easy solution.

>- what do i need to do to link against binmode.o
>I'm not familiar with configure and the rest of the autoconf-stuff.

There's no simple answer to that question.  You have to inspect the
Makefile.in or Makefile.am and maybe configure.in or configure.ac
and fit /usr/lib/binmode.o in there somewhere, as appropriate.

I'm sure that the maintainer would love a patch if you are willing
to track down what's required but, unless you really want to learn
all of the autoconf hoopla, it's probably better to just use binmode
mounts until the maintainer fixes the problem.

(I've just pinged them, fwiw)

cgf