Re: anything related to my writings

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, nemrut cesetevi wrote:

> i have read few mails about my mails.most of them are related to my
> mailing style and also gives many advices, criticize me.

Nemrut,

As I was one of the people to give you advice on mailing style, I feel I
have to respond to this post.  None of the criticism was intended to turn
you away from the list, but rather to improve the readability of your
messages.  Also, none of the comments related to English grammar or
spelling, as there are many people on this list with English as a
non-native language (me included).

> and i will also read this doucment "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
> immediately :)
>
> but i still someone to help about my problem ?
>
> my problem is really clear-->

Let me try to address these in order:

> 1-i want to port a program from redhat 7.2 to windows98.

Barring the differences in the header files and some idiosyncrasies of
cygwin, this should be reasonably easy.  Cygwin supplies most of the tools
Linux does.

> 2-my program uses lex&yacc structure.

flex should be fully compatible with lex, and, AFAIK, is the only
implementation of lex for cygwin.

There are two yacc implementations: bison and byacc.  For bison, you may
have to supply a '-y' flag.  byacc should be compatible with yacc.

> 3-i want to trace program  not just only run ( debug and solve algorithm) i
> want to debug program with visual c++ , borlandcbuilder
> borlandc++ 5.x

There are differences in debugging symbols used and name mangling between
gcc and Windows compilers.  You could try gdb, which comes with a
reasonably nice visual interface (and the same icons as MSVC++, IIRC).

> 4-i search and hear about cygwin.

Given that English is not your native language, you might have to take
more care and try different phrasings of each query to get the right
results.  We all have to go through that sometimes, and this is a normal
part of searching for information.  Don't get discouraged if the first few
queries produce no relevant matches or too many irrelevant ones.

> 5-i read www.cygwin.com but i do have a right to criticize this site
> it is to hard to follow a way to setup or find a solution in this site.

This is probably related to the above (no criticism intended).  If you
have constructive suggestions on how to improve the site, though, feel
free to send a patch.

> 6-and finally
>
> Read the User's Guide and the FAQ first. (done)
> Check the mailing list archives. (done)
>
> Your message must be relevant to the list. Messages that are not directly
> related to Cygwin are considered off-topic and are unwelcome. For example,
> the following are off-topic:
> General programming language questions
> General Windows programming questions
> General UNIX shell programming questions
> General application usage questions
> How to make millions by working at home
> Announcements from LaserJet toner cartridge suppliers  (DONE)
>
> <my native language is not english.>
>
> so i want to state that if i m a big problem here i will leave here.
> but i always hope from this mailing list just "help" and kind behaviours. i
> dont have a hobby to be a problem in mailing lists in my spare time.

People with poor English or message style are generally not a problem on
this list.  People who don't want to learn and help themselves are.  I can
see from your posting that you would like to improve, but just don't know
how.  None of the suggestions you've received should be taken personally,
but as a guide on what should be corrected in your messages.  I would also
search http://www.google.com/ for 'mailing list etiquette' or something
like that and read up on it.

Hopefully this won't turn you away from the list.  Most people do have
something constructive to contribute at one time or another, and this list
is generally very tolerant to first-time posters.  But please try to
follow the list's etiquette and general rules.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51