Re: Setup freezes installing from local dir

It's not clear why you would think that you'd have to change your answer
the second time around either.  If you specified z:\cygwin the first time
then it should be fairly obvious that you should specific z:\cygwin the
second time.
I thought so because I was familar to the old Setup in which I chose the directory containing the "setup.ini".

In any event, I suspect that in this case "freezes" probably means
"didn't wait long enough".  It can take setup a little while to digest
the information in the local directory if you've downloaded a number of
packages.  So, you should wait a few minutes (depending on the speed
of your computer) before concluding that setup is hung.
You are right. I just had to wait. Still I would prefer Setup showing some signs of life, or at least pre-warn the user it would act like freezing now. Since if Task Manager says Setup is "Not responding", most user would believe Setup is dead.

You don't have to worry about what kind of directories setup creates,
actually.  Just use the same directory for each invocation.
Sometimes for some reason I renamed the lengthy "http%3a%2f%2f..." directory to something shorter. Is that allowed? Would Setup still find the subdirectory or does it only look for "http...", "ftp..." etc.? Is is even allowed to move "setup.ini" and "release" to the same directory with "setup.exe" and delete the "http%3a%2f%2f..."?

setup does state it clearly.  It should default to the directory that
> you used the first time you downloaded.

Where? Setup shows the same explaining text whether you chose "Install from Internet", "Download from Internet" or "Install from Local Directory". I think different, case specific texts would be better.

> If that isn't a big enough hint for you then hopefully this email makes
> it clear.

In fact your mail does. Thanks a lot.

Huijing

--