]Should ntsec & autotools work under XP prof ?

Subject :
Should ntsec & autotools work under XP prof ?

Date :
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:53:57 +0000

As I have stock default security token in my "limited" account,
and a stock cygwin distribution, AFAIK, and autotools is not
compatible with ntsec on my system, I wonder if anyone else
has it working ?

That is, has anyone seen these three all work together ?
  i) installation & use as a normal user
ii) ntsec
iii) autotools

I ran the cygwin setup as my normal user, and when prompted,
gave it credentials for an administrator.

I deduce that the cygwin loader uses NT permissions to determine

whether I can run an executable, as all the executables in
/user/bin list as
   -rwx------ Administ None
yet it still lets me run them, and in fact the NT permissions
allow Users to Read&Execute.

So I assume that this is a vagary of the ntsec mapping that
the permissions are being displayed as not executable to users,
and that this is not the reality of what the loader obeys.

I guess that the -x shell test used in the autotools wrappers
is actually implemented by looking at the unix permissions not
the
NT permissions, and as the unix permissions are wrong (as
mentioned
above) this is why the autotools wrappers fail.

I don't know the architectural answer as to
- should the -x shell test look at the real NT permissions
or
- should the unix permissions more realistically reflect the
   NT permissions
or
- is it not possible to get the -x shell test correct for cygwin

Anyway, if anyone knows the answer to my compabitility curiosity

(autotools + ntsec + non-administrative user)
or if this jogs any memories, I'd be curious to hear any
reactions.

Cordially,

Perry

[I made a yahoo mail account, b/c the cygwin mail list
bounces email from hotmail, at least sometimes.)