Trouble with international chars in bash (yes I set up .inputrc)

Hi.
I'm having trouble displaying international charecters in bash. I'm using the latest cygwin (1.3.14-1), on Windows XP Pro, with latest MS updates applied.

I've setup my .inputrc as the faq said:

set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

But bash still doesn't display international characters properly. Instead it apparently displays the char's scancode. For intance, when I press "ē", I get "\347" on the bash prompt.

Curiously, other programs seem to work fine: I can use international chars on 'vi' with no problem. If I then set the LESSCHARSET env. var to latin1, I can see (using 'less') the resulting file with no problems as well. Using 'cat' on that file, however, displays garbage characters.

If I remove the .inputrc file, bash just beeps at my attempts to use accented/international chars, as normal, so the options are doing something, just not what was expected :)

Has anyone else has seen/fixed this problem ?

--
./Joćo