Re: Is it possible to convert .a linux library into win32 .dll or lib ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Belhomme" <rico@ricospirit.net>
To: "Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net>; "Eric Belhomme" <eric.belhomme@free.fr>;
<cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: Is it possible to convert .a linux library into win32 .dll or
lib ?

> So, can I link this file with a native win32 software developped with Ms
> Visual C++ 6 ?

I don't know much about the Unix functions for dynamic linking but I have
attempted to determine the similarities to Windows functions for dynamic
linking. It was my intent to write a utility that was as
platform-independent as possible. It is my understanding that the Unix
functions are different from the Windows equivalents. It is my understanding
that Unix does not have the equivalent of implicit linking; that the Unix
functions are similar to the (explicit linking) LoadLibrary function and
related functions in Windows.

The significance of that is that the utility you want to use is probably not
compatible at the source code level with Windows. In other words, it is not
likely to work to just recompile it using Visual C++.

In a Windows environment, a DLL might not be compatible with a program
compiled with a different compiler. In fact a DLL compiled by VC might not
be compatible with another DLL or program compiled by VC. Usually
non-programmers are not aware of such incompatibilities since programmers
would have not released something with such incompatiblities.

---