Re: SSHD on NT4...

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > I attached the /etc/group file also, because the files which normally
> > > should belong to group "SYSTEM" now all belong to "Kein", maybe that
> > > helps?
> >
> > Which files do you mean?  Didn't chown help?  Any hint in
> > /var/log/sshd.log or in the WIndows event log?
>
> The files I meant are /etc/ssh*, /var/empty and /var/log/sshd.log
> The file /var/log/sshd.log is empty. Evidently, sshd doesn't get executed.
>
> > Sigh, why are people using textmode voluntarily...
>
> I am sorry, but I have to. Legacy applications needing CR/LF. If you
> volunteer to rewrite them, I would be very grateful :-)
>
> Anyhow, I found out that starting ANY service fails (I tried apache and
> other users), if (and only if) the service doesn't run as Administrator.
>
> Thank you,
> Dscho

Johannes,

Did you install Cygwin "For myself" or "For all users"?  Do you set the
CYGWIN environment variable in the system environment, or in the user
environment (or even, god forbid, a batch script)?  It sounds suspiciously
like sshd either doesn't see the mounts or doesn't have ntsec enabled when
run as anyone but Administrator (provided your cygwin version is below
1.3.12).

Please do the following:
1) From a command prompt, type 'mount -m | grep cygwin'.  If either of the
printed lines contains the '-u' flag, re-execute that line replacing '-u'
by '-s'.  You will only have to do this once.
2) In the Control Panel, start the System applet.  Navigate your way to
Environment, and add a *system* environment variable CYGWIN with the
appropriate value (you can run 'echo $CYGWIN' from a bash shell first to
find out its value).  I'd also suggest that you then remove this variable
from both the user environment and the batch script (if it's there).

After you performed the above actions, see if you can start sshd, and
report back to the list.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51