Re: Discussing NetworkSimplicity (was: Re: SSHD on NT4... (SOLVED!!!))

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 08:48:48PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 20:35, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:
>

>> But newbies wouldn't know to run it.
>
>1) Link on the home page.

I don't think "Link on the home page" is ever a serious solution for anything.
If it was then 90% of the traffic on this mailing list would cease.

- Problems?  Hmm the home page says to check the FAQ.  Hey! There's my
problem.  So *that's* how I solve it.

- Oops.  It's a bug.  What's this bugs link?  I'll look at that.  Ok.
So, *that's* how they want me to report a bug.

- I need help with XFree86.  Hmm.  I'd better check the mailing list
page to see what the best way to do that is.  Aha!  There's a separate
mailing list!

- I wonder if I should send someone private email about this.   Hey!
I'll bet the home page has something to say on that!  Let's see...  Ok.
No.  It's a bad idea.

- I wonder why the bushwah package isn't available.  Maybe the cygwin
developers are mean.  Hmm.  I'd better check the home page to see if
my theory is true.  Hey!  I could submit the bushwah package *myself*!  Neat.

- It says that cygpcre.dll isn't available.  I apparently need to download
that.  I need to search for cygwin packages somehow.  Hey!  There's a link
on the cygwin home page!

My point here is that it is more helpful to have cygcheck do what it was
designed to do -- check for problems on the system.  Even if it doesn't
actually fix the problems, it should be detecting mount table foulups.  I
don't see any reason to invent another tool or add more unread words to
the web page about this.

cgf