Re: SSHD: error initializing windows sockets if I use ".ssh/authorized_keys"

Tino Lange <Tino.Lange@isg.de> wrote:

> I really like mailing lists - I only spoke about the "cygcheck.out"
> Details which don't belong to the list in my opinion.

cygcheck output is a vital tool in diagnosing problems.... therefore:

> I didn't propose to send *questions* to you or other maintainers
> personally, or?
> Maybe you misunderstood me? I didn't want "private" support - just you
> and me. No!

by giving the most effective tool to diagnosing problems only to Corinna,
you were saying "I only trust Corinna to help me" - i.e. you were asking for
private support.

When asked, post cygcheck output publicly. Sanitize it first if you feel the
need, but I've just looked through a cygcheck on my machine, and found
nothing I was worried about disclosing to the list.

> My understanding of the procedure was:
>
> I ask on the mailinglist, to find someone who maybe can help.
> The more detailed my question is the more chance I have to find
> someone, of course...
>
> If now someone like you says: "Hey, I saw the topic and the
> description.  That's maybe something for me - I'll have a look at
> that, please send me all those details from cycheck.out!" then we
> still *only* use the mailinglist as basis and platform for
> communication - not personal email-accounts - only exception is the
> cygcheck.out that should be sent to the counterpart via a special
> email-account.

No. The cygcheck.out is part of the info that should be sent in the first
place.

> Why sent these 25kByte to **thousands** of reciepients
> that are mostly not interested in it.

More like 15kB. Insignificant compared to the volume of the list.

> (but maybe in the text-part of the mail)?

Don't do this. It clutters the archives.

> "cygwin@cygwin.com" has really *much* traffic. Thank god that not
> every mail has a "cygcheck.out" attachement!

Every mail won't. Only the ones asking for help on a problem they haven't
been able to localize.

> By the way: I bet "corinna-cygwin" is not you real PM, or? It's a
> special cygwinlist email work-account and that's perfectly right.

If someone says "Do not send me personal mail", it means "Do not send me
personal mail", not "Look at my email address and decide you want to send me
personalized email anyway".

> Hope this clears up things a bit.
> I really don't want to change some common behaviour here but on the
> other hand I don't think it's right to ignore me / my questions

Well, if you go against both mailing list policy, and stated personal
opinions, then you should expect to be ignored.

--
Max.