Re: No /dev Files for Tape Backup to Use?

"Mack, Daemian" wrote:

> I've installed Cygwin on NT4 in order to use tar to do some backups.  I've
> got a 15/30 Gb DLT tape drive hooked up to the machine.
>
> My understanding is that tar will need to refer to the tape device -- yet
> there is no /dev directory.  Is this common?  Is there some other step I
> need to take to generate the proper /dev files for my tape drive, etc?
>
> Please advise.

The /dev directory is virtual in Cygwin. There are a number of devices
which are "known" to Cygwin and they include /dev/st0. I know because I
use it quite frequently, albeit to refer to a DAT drive rather than a
DLT.

Try

	mt -f /dev/st0 status

If you get a reasonable status report you are in business.

See the Cygwin User Guide which should have a section on special device
names.

HTH

Don Sharp