Problem with crontab -e: tabs aren't getting installed

I've recently installed Cygwin on a Windows 2000 Pro machine. Installation was done under a user account. I tried to install a cron job by running:

EDITOR=emacs crontab -e
After reading through the mailing lists on a similar problem, I remembered to set the variable 'make-backup-files' to nil, and verified that the inum for the temporary file remained unchanged after saving the file. However, when I exit out of emacs, nothing happens. It returns to the bash prompt with no messages. According to crontab -l, the table was not installed.
Any other ideas what could be wrong?
-- Trevin Beattie