Re: Changing user ID.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> I've been trying to log in as an other user under NT.
>
> From the archives I seem to get that su was removed, and that you
> should be using login for it instead, so I've tried to use that.
>
> It comes asking for the password, but always says it failed.
> Anybody got any idea why it's not working?
>
> The user doesn't exist local, but does exist in the domain.
>
> I don't want to try to use sshd/ssh, since I really don't need
> them, but would that work instead?
>
> Kurt

Switching user context on NT-based systems requires special privileges,
which normally belong only to the LocalSystem user.  Unless your user has
those privileges, login and others will fail.  sshd/ssh will work, since
sshd runs as LocalSystem, and thus has enough privileges to switch the
user.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51