Re: Slowness on app startup after recent update (and yes I read the FAQ) - Solution - kind of

Ron,

Why ask why? It can all be traced back to the primordial singularity, of course.

Is your HOME set in the Windows environment? If it is, the value inherited from the environment upon shell startup will override the value that would otherwise have been taken from your entry in /etc/passwd.

Why does upgrading software make things change? Because the newer software is different. Sometimes those changes render old scripts and code non-functional.

Blind upgrading is not really advisable. Read the release notes and know what to expect and whether any special procedures are required. (Take it from someone who's been bitten by upgrading without reading the release announcements.)

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA