RE: Running cygwin built programs in Windows XP

Pharas,

Letting folks know what you did is fine but it's also the responsibility of
this list to let everyone know which practices are very error-prone and not
supported by this list.  While we would prefer that everyone was aware of
the best practices for Cygwin installations, we recognize that this isn't
ever going to be the case.  So certain suggestions, like yours, will occur
even though such changes are very highly discouraged and folks making those
changes won't receive much in the way of real support for any issues they
may post until the change is reverted.  But I think the point here is simply
that while it's fair for you to make such a suggestion, you should point out
that such a change is not supported by this list.  If you didn't know this
to be the case, that's OK.  Now you do.  It's our obligation to inform you
and others of this policy.

To answer your question about the paths and cygwin1.dll, yes, if cygwin1.dll
is in your Windows (system preferably) path, then any Cygwin program anywhere
on your system can be run any time and the DLL will always be found.

Larry