Re: Bug somewhere between cygwin, gcc and cvs

Arkadiy,

My information may be out-of-date, but I thought direct access to directories was not POSIX-compliant? Of course, if that's true, one would think CVS would long ago have adapted to that restriction.

Anyway, trying to access a directory using any old naive program (i.e., one that doesn't detect and make a special accommodation for directories) such as "dd," "od," or "cat" gives "Is a directory" diagnostics every time.

Are you sure your CVS build environment was properly configured? Is the main-line CVS source code featured for (ported to) Cygwin?

You said you're trying to build the "latest stable CVS code" and that it's version 1.11.2. However, by my observation, the latest Cygwin CVS is 1.11.0.

I'm guessing that the CVS source code you're using does not bear the requisite Cygwin-specific patches.

Why don't you use the source code that's distributed with / by the Cygwin project? Of course, unless you're going to modify it, you'll just end up with the functional equivalent of the current Cygwin binary package for CVS.

If there's a feature of CVS 1.11.2 that you need, you could probably get a considerable head start by taking the Cygwin patches from the Cygwin 1.11.0 source package and applying them (with any necessary changes, of course) to the 1.11.2 source code.

I hope the Cygwin CVS package maintainer will definitively confirm, refute or refine the speculation I've indulged in here...

Randall Schulz