xinetd/ init not working for me

I just upgraded to 1.3.18 and noticed a version  of init and xinetd.  I
turned off inetd and  installed xinetd, chkconfig, sysvinit, and the
initscripts,  Ran init-config and xinetd-config.  chkconfig says that xinetd
is on at runlevel3, net start init starts init at runlevel3 ,  but doesn't
start xinetd.  If I manualy start xinetd (either with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start  or   /usr/sbin/xinetd -d) it appears to set
up the various services,  but when I try to access the machine using an
xinetd service (telnet or rlogin) I get :

03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {server_start} Starting service login
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {main_loop} active_services = 14
03/1/3@18:04:10: ERROR: {set_credentials} setuid failed: Permission denied
(errno = 13)
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {main_loop} active_services = 14
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {main_loop} select returned 1
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {check_pipe} Got signal 20 (Child status changed)
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {child_exit} waitpid returned = 3056
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {server_end} login server 3056 exited
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {svc_postmortem} Checking log size of login service
03/1/3@18:04:10: INFO: {conn_free} freeing connection
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {child_exit} waitpid returned = -1
03/1/3@18:04:10: DEBUG: {main_loop} active_services = 14

I've tried adding the services to the hosts.allow file and a few other
things,  but no luck so far,  I've also been through the cygwin and xinetd
lists and haven't turned anything up.
Oh,  inetd works just fine,  but I'd like to use xinetd if I could.

thanks for any help.
Bruce Dobrin
dobrin@imageworks.com