Re: Difficulties to download Cygwin when no Windows machine isavailable...

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, [ISO-8859-15] Brent Frère wrote:

> Cygwin is marvelous. Thank you for maintaining it. It's so powerful to
> convince our customers to migrate to open-source software and finally OS...
>
> I just have to face a problem: I wish to download the entire CygWin
> distribution in order to give it to my customers on CDs (a way to
> promote your project without having to ask them to download it...) Your
> automatic installation procedure is very powerful, however it works only
> on Windows-running hosts... (that makes sense, if you wish to use
> it...). As professional telecom company, we don't have ANY windows based
> host here. So, I have huge difficulties to download the software in
> order to write some CD for our customers...
>
> Could you, as example, refer on your web site some URL so that it could
> be possible to download this marvelous project using plain http, ftp or
> rsync protocol instead of the Setup.exe tool ?

You can also use wget to extract the entire tree from one of the http
mirrors.  This is what I do and we even discussed this topic on the list
some time earlier, so try searching the Cygwin mail archives.

Burning to CD is a different topic and there are several options as long
as you are willing to drop/remove a few things.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>