Re: cygwin Install fails to install cygwin1.dll

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:08:28AM -0800, Ben Hutchison wrote:
>I have downloaded and run the Cygwin setup.exe installer. After a long period
>of downloading files, it created a directory tree containing ./bin, /lib, etc
>sub-dirs, with files, in the normal fashion.
>
>However, there was no cygwin1.dll on my disk at the end - big problem. No error
>message in the setup log either.
>
>I tried removing my install and reinstalling from the local cache dir. Failed
>again. Then I tried downloading a newer version of setup.exe, but no progress.
>
>Im not the only one having this problem: type "cygwin1.dll missing" or
>"cygwin1.dll 'not found'" into google and you will see this fault happens a
>bit. Unfortunate;y, no replies with any useful problem resolution.
>
>An attempt to search the cygwin mailing lists for clues got me a "500 Internal
>Server Error" - something is wrong there too.
>
>A complete re-download takes hours on my modem. I dont want to do this,
>download megs of files I have already, just because the installer got a bit
>braindead and forgot the most important file!
>
>Given that cygwin install docs basically say: "Download setup and run it.",
>setup had better *just work*. It didnt for me, and for a number of others.
>Right now, I have no idea why.

And neither do we.  I wonder if you actually have cygwin running and a
reboot of the system is all that is required.  Given that you think you
have to "re-download" the whole package to fix problems, I am assuming
that it is possible that you also missed messages about needing to
reboot in order to activate cygwin.  If this is not the case, then just
install or reinstall the cygwin package.  Run setup and when it gets to
"Packages to install", click on "Base" and then click on the "New"
column until it says either "reinstall" or "1.3.18-1".

cgf