Re: cygrunsrv and apache

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>> Did you try running apache from the SYSTEM command line?
>
> Yeah, same as usual... Working!?!
>
>> I don't know much about apache, but when in similar circumstances
>> with ssh, I turn debugging up to maximum, and look at
>> /var/log/<servicename>.log. Apache has its own logs that it might be
>> worthwhile to look in as well.
>
> I don't think there's a debug command-line options, and if there is
> it's certainly not documented very well :( BTW I was checking the
> service log for apache (/var/log/apache.log) after every attempted
> start and it is still empty and the error_log doesn't doesn't contain
> anything but the normal startup/shutdown messages.

I have just set up apache on my machine to see if I could reproduce this.
This is what I did:

Install apache from setup.exe
$ cygrunsrv -I apache -p /usr/sbin/httpd -a -k -d "CYGWIN apache"
(I have a global CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec" in the system environment)
Edit httpd.conf:
    Set ServerName to silence a warning
    Set User and Group to "#18" (Yes, I'm lazy, and no, I'm not going to be
leaving this running!)
$ cygrunsrv -S apache
View the Apache test page in Internet Explorer. It works!

(I did get a "Service has not started" at one point, but that was when I
made a typo in httpd.conf. Info was dumped to /var/log/apache.log)

I don't see how this simple success story will help you much, apart from
confirming that it is possible with dll 1.3.18-1.

Max.