Re: Bug in rm -r with locked files

Christopher Faylor wrote:

It's not a completely intractable problem.  I think that someone (Chris
January?) provided a workaround at one point.  "cygserver" could also
provide a possible solution someday.
Right. I went back and re-read those archives. Interesting problem.

Now why was it important to do this "delayed remove" semantics? I.e. what (as alluded to by Robert Collins) would be broken if unlink simply returned EPERM or something like that if the file was busy? I didn't see any reference to that in the message threads.

(PS The archive search feature at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ seem to be broken - just about anything I type in the search box, including the word "cygwin", comes back with "no matches". So I apologize for not being able to do this research myself, and have to depend on those with long memories..)
--
Shankar.