Re: Hope you can help

Max,

Well, there was a period of time when the only protected-memory Windows was NT 4. I came to Windows at that point and never used any prior version of Windows. Apart from a brief period trying to get by accommodating my employer's need for Windows via VirtualPC (on the Mac), which supported only Windows '98, I never used one of the "meager" Windows variants.

NT4 wasn't so bad, really. Not pretty, but I'm just now using XP for the fist time, since I'm setting up a new laptop for a friend, and I can't say I like it much. They've already passed the point of good taste and usability in the graphic design of the interface, in my opinion.

To some extent these are matters of taste, of course, but graphic design is a very important discipline for GUI designers, and I fear good graphics artists are not being heard sufficiently these days, both in Web design and in conventional GUI design. It looks like children / marketing types hold too much sway in the visual design of these OS and sites.

Oops... I'm pontificating, aren't I?

Spaeter...

Randall Schulz

At 15:44 2003-01-30, Max Bowsher wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
> At 15:26 2003-01-30, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> I fled the world of Win9x when XP came out, and haven't looked back.
>> (I realize that this is not necessarily an option. But there are
>> compelling reasons to forget about 9x if you are able to do so.)
>
> Max,
>
> Why did you not move to NT 4 or 2000 Pro? You would not have had to
> wait nearly as long.

I am more-or-less a home user. I had never used 2k/XP until I had a gap year
with IBM. Once I'd seen what I was missing, I didn't go back :-). But....
NT4? Yuk! I'd rather use WinMe!

Max.