Re: Hope you can help

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:18:07PM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>NT4 wasn't so bad, really. Not pretty, but I'm just now using XP for
>the fist time, since I'm setting up a new laptop for a friend, and I
>can't say I like it much. They've already passed the point of good
>taste and usability in the graphic design of the interface, in my opinion.

NT4 wasn't bad but I do get the occasional BSOD from it.  W2K seemed rock
solid.  I get an occasional BSOD (actually, I think it's a GSOD) from XP,
though.

So, for my money, W2K was the best so far except for some of the interesting
functions available only on XP which would make my life easier if I could
use them in cygwin.

>To some extent these are matters of taste, of course, but graphic
>design is a very important discipline for GUI designers, and I fear
>good graphics artists are not being heard sufficiently these days, both
>in Web design and in conventional GUI design. It looks like children /
>marketing types hold too much sway in the visual design of these OS and
>sites.
>
>Oops... I'm pontificating, aren't I?

Maybe, but I agree.

Er, I mean in Cygwinese: "I am having problems with Windows XP.  The new
interface isn't right.  I'm sorry that I can't provide any details because
I am a graphic design newbie.  I'm dropping back to Windows 2K.  Sorry."

cgf