Re: Packaging software built with cygwin

I would suggest that, if it is desired to promote the development of
applications on the Cygwin platform, serious consideration be made to making
it as simple as possible to install only those portions of Cygwin that the
application requires. This means just the necessary DLLs, without all of the
interactive use baggage. Right now, that's nearly impossible.
	Technically, the ideal solution would be to link against a set
	of static libraries.  Therefore requiring no extra install at
	all.  No DLL hell, no tech support, no "Cygwin is the problem"
	perception.  However, is it feasible for the Cygwin project to
	make this exception for the sake of utility?

	This is the same reason I find myself experimenting with
	mingw, I would like to use Cygwin as the devel platform
	and target native binaries, or at least non Cygwin-DLL
	dependent binaries...

	My 0.02, no offence intended to GPL oriented people...

Regards,

Nigel Stewart