Re: Packaging software built with cygwin

The way I read GPL (but please correct me if I'm wrong) you should be able
to write a fork off the current Setup that installs the Hercules and gets
the Cygwin from one of the mirrors (of which you can download the list at
the time of installing from cygwin.com). Technically, you would not be
distributing Cygwin (because you would be using Red Hat's own
distribution) but the effect would be the same.

Your remaining problem would be that Cygwin is a "moving target" as you
say, but Cygwin doesn't move all *that* quickly either, does it? I mean,
you don't build Hercules against the latest snapshot do you? Of course, I
have no idea how extensively you use the Cygwin API but my (arguably
little, juding by the size of my projects vs yours) experience has always
been that if you stick to POSIX compliance, Cygwin does the job quite
nicely (and patches to Cygwin are usually welcome in case of error,
provided you have a copyright waiver which I don't have).

As for GPL rants: I'd be interested (off-list) in hearing your reasons for
being against GPL, and even more in what alternatives you would propose.

Greetz!

rlc