Re: Problems compiling trivial C program.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Brian Keener wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
> > (no)winsymlinks - if set, Cygwin creates symlinks as Windows shortcuts with
> > a special header and the R/O attribute set. If not set, Cygwin creates
> > symlinks as plain files with a magic number, a path and the system attribute
> > set. Defaults to set.
>
> I've read the CYGWIN environment settings before but sure don't remember seeing
> this one.  Learned something new. ;-) Now what happens if we change this in mid
> stream - also see below.

The usual answer: try and see.

> > NB: setup creates the magic-number/system-attribute always.
>
> Three questions here -
> 1) call me stupid - what is NB.

"Nota Bene" - "important note" (Latin). [Er, should I really call you
stupid? ;-)]

> 2) Is this correct for setup - I see this default on a new install but
> shouldn't it handle based on CYGWIN environment if updating .... But .... then
> what happens if I change the setting - see question above and Question 3.

Yes it is.  Setup has built-in code that creates symlinks, which doesn't
depend on the CYGWIN variable.  Besides, CYGWIN may not be set globally.

> 3) Can both methods work simultaneously.  If setup does it one way and CYGWIN
> Environment default is the other - will I have broken symlinks.

You shouldn't.  They usually coexist peacefully.  Unless Windows (or a
Windows administrator with restless fingers) starts going around changing
attributes.

> bk

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune