mkpasswd: [5] Access is denied.

I have been unable to successfully run mkpasswd -d since our corporation upgraded to MS Exchange 2000. When I run
mkpasswd -d
I get the following output
SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
mkpasswd: [5] Access is denied.

I suspect this is caused by some problem with the configuration of the domain controller, but I don't know enough about domain controllers to guess any more than that.
The problem is preventing me from using sash to log in remotely to my machine.

I've attached the output of running
strace --output=mkpasswd.strace.txt mkpasswd -u canning -d
to this message. I have been unable to interpret this output enough to figure out what is causing the problem. If anyone can figure out what is causing the problem, and suggest what might be done to fix it, I would be grateful.

thanks,
Peter Canning

PS: mkgroup -d works fine.