Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 11:48, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 10:41, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> > > Where, exactly, did you read this (a link to some doc would be
> > > enightening)?  I see nothing about this in Googles documentation of Page
> > > Ranking.  And, google isn't the only search engine out there.  I'd think
> > > you'd want to try and get as much exposure as possible in as many engines
> > > as possible.
> >
> > An interview on slashdot some time back.
>
> And you believe everything you read on slashdot ?-)

It was from the google director of technology.
http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/03/1352239&mode=thread

BUT: it doesn't have the comment I recalled. Ermm, oops.

> Seriously, I can't seem to find this interview.  I've been reading
> several articles on google lately (like the paper "The PageRank Citation
> Ranking: Bringing Order to the Web (1998)").  I've been searching
> articles on google, itself, as well as slashdot and several other search
> engines, and they don't say anything about text repetition in a page
> devaluing it's ranking.
>
> If you can either give me a link or a specific title from the article,
> I'll see if I can find it.
>
> Anyways, to get a better ranking in Google, you'd need some important
> sites to link to Cygwin's install page.  I've always wondered how,
> exactly, an "important" site is determined.  Simply having lots of links
> to your site isn't enough to make it "important".  I wonder if RedHat's
> site is considdered "important" enough.  If so, see if maybe the RedHat
> folks would be willing to place a Cygwin link on their home page.

I thought that having lots of links to your site was *exactly* what made
it important.

Anyway I can't find the page where I got that understanding from.

The context that I can recall was that do defeat 'artificial' elevation
of sites to the top of searches in google, google has heuristics to
detect such attempts. The heuristics include lots of links to yourself
(there was a shopping site somewhere that google effectively delisted,
even though there was no attempt to make it rank highly, simply because
the sites dynamically generated product list appeared to be a
rank-elevating attempt), and detection of other such things (like
repeated keywords). I hope this helps you find the reference.
Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.