RE: Bash shell

Hannu,

At 08:05 2003-02-16, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

>> I use the bash shell a LOT and was wondering how do I get it so that I can
>> copy and paste something from a windows window (such as an IP address) into
>> the bash shell window. For example I want to use the whois functionality of
>> the bash shell for an IP I have in a windows window. I cannot seem to copy
>> and paste anything.
>>
>> I know that for the Xfree you can use the -clipboard option, but I rarely
>> use the X system...mostly just the bash shell.

Larry Hall:
> Welcome! New users are encouraged to make use of the available resources
> to see if their question or issue is covered before querying the list.
> That includes the FAQ, User's Guide, and email list archives. In
> this case,
> you wouldn't have needed to go beyond the FAQ. There's a nice entry about
> this in there. See:
>
> 4.2.24 How can I copy and paste into Cygwin console windows?
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC54>

Pasting things from the above FAQ section into "pico ~/.inputrc"

"2~5~Be2~5~4~24~BC": paste-from-clipboard

Nice pasting... eh..?
I cannot reproduce that result when copying from any of these browsers:

Mozilla 1.2.1:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

IE 6:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

Netscape 4.79:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

Opera 7:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

Pasting into the console (right-click) and RXVT (middle-click) produced the same results as pasting here (Eudora w/ CTRL-V). I don't know Pico, but I gave it a try (running in a Cygwin console window) after copying from Mozilla. A right-mouse paste there also had the expected effect.

Mozilla and IE copied styles, which I removed here. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

I don't know what's up here, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the FAQ.

Well, after adding (for "insert-key"-paste)
    "\e]2~": paste-from-clipboard
to ~/.inputrc and restarting all of cygwin: It doesn't work.
Here you have the wrong orientation of the square bracket character.

I also have
    DEL: forward-backward-delete-char
which does work in pico (internal handling?), but not in Bash...
(most things set as per default)

 It is nice to have a FAQ, but when things described there doesn't work...

FINALLY:
 "\M-[2~": paste-from-clipboard # insert key
OTOH seems to work nicely (suggesttion by Randall Schulz, 2003-02-14)
this also remedies the first problem.
The "M-" is "meta-" and is just another way of notating an ESCAPE prefix.

 Who is the FAQ maintainer?

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden

Randall Schulz