Re: runlyx.bat does not start Cygwin LyX

[posted and mailed]

Turns out tr is not the culprit.  See comments interspersed below.

Milos Komarcevic <mk329 at eng dot cam dot ac dot uk> wrote in
news:5 dot 2 dot 0 dot 9 dot 0 dot 20030220174251 dot 00a84d70 at imap dot hermes dot cam dot ac dot uk:

>> > The only one I could find is the line
>> >
>> > export HOSTNAME=`hostname | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`
>> >
>> > in /etc/profile (that is the default one, hasn't been changed).
>>
>>Curious, there's no such line in my profile (also default).
>
> Do you have  base-files-1.1-1 installed?

Yes.

> That comes with /etc/profile.default that has that line in it,

Same here.

> and hence my /etc/profile too

It's in my profile.default, but not in profile itself.  Don't know why; I
never edited /etc/profile that I can recall, and I'm positive I never
played with that line.  Something else is exporting the HOSTNAME
variable, because it's in my environment when I open a bash shell.

>> > But that doesn't seem to cause problems and hang when I open a
>> > bash window, start XFree86 and xterm or anything else,
>> > just with lyxwin32.exe
>> > The only change I did to /etc/lyxprofile is comment out the 'export
>> > HOME=...' as I've already set it as my Windows env. variable.
>>
>>Try commenting out the export HOSTNAME line in /etc/profile and see if
>>the problem disappears.
>
> That did solve the problem and LyX started successfully.
> So now we know which 'tr' is hanging, can we find out why is it so?

By editing my /etc/profile, I reproduced your problem.  It turns out that
tr is not hanging; hostname is.  To verify this, I changed the line in
/etc/profile to

HN="`tr BOZO '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`"
export MYHOSTNAME=$HN

and LyX started fine.  Then I replaced that with

HN="`hostname`"

(not even bothering to do anything with the resulting variable HN) and
the startup process hung (XFree86 running but the LyX window not yet
opened).  When I killed the hostname process, LyX finished loading.

I have no idea why hostname is hanging in this context, when it runs fine
in a bash shell.

> It does not hang when I open just a bash window, and the HOSTNAME var
> is set correctly.

Same here.

>>FWIW, I've bumped into situations where something worked ok in DOS but
>>not Cygwin, or vice versa.  It turns out that permissions for the same
>>file may be different (or at least appear different) between
>>DOS/Windoze and Cygwin.  (This only applies to Win 2K and XP, and
>>maybe NT.)  I'm wondering if maybe lyxwin32, running under DOS rather
>>than Cygwin, tries to invoke some other program for which it lacks, or
>>appears to lack, permission.
>
> I've tried this with or without CYGWIN=ntsec, no difference.
>
> I'm cc'ing this to the cygwin list also, maybe somebody can shed
> some new light on this.

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   rubin at msu dot edu
Michigan State University                      http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)