Re: GPL Violation

At 08:16 PM 2/20/2003 +0100, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>/ Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com> wrote:
>|>
>|> I make cygwin1.dll.bz2 available so that people can run the
>|> static binaries.
>|
>| If you provide the Cygwin DLL in binary form, you must provide
>| the sources of that version as well.
>
>Just a quick thought.. isn't it possible saying "I can send you a CD
>with the source"?

We offer a CD to our LUG members with the latest Cygwin binaries along with
the URL to cygwin.com.  We also stipulate that they can get the source code
from running the setup.exe.  If they want the source from the LUG, they
should contact us about prices.  While it is relatively easy to create a
single CD with the latest binaries.  It is quite time consuming to generate
the CD or two or three that contain everything.  We therefore charge a
hefty price to deliver the source in CD form.  This not only covers our
time and production costs, but also encourages the members to go to the
primary repository (cygwin.com) for the sources.

>From what I understand, this is within the realm of the GPL.  If it is not,
can someone please explain how we can offer a CD to our members for their
convenience but still be "legal" with regards to the GPL.

If this is not the appropriate list, please point me in the right
direction.  Thanks in advance for pointers and suggestions.

Regards,
- Robert