Re: exim 4.12-3 winsock problem (was Re: 1.3.21)

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Pierre,
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:02:49AM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> > So I suggest a simple test: edit /etc/passwd and change the gid of the
> > exim user to 545, then run again.
>
> The above fixed the problem.  I apologize for not being able to figure
> this out myself.

Actually I'd rather have you hit this problem than almost anybody else.
Figuring out what was happening without accurate strace output
took some doing.

Can you invest a little more time and try to understand why wsock
doesn't start without it (e.g. lookup how privileges are assigned on your
system)? I'd like to detect the bad situation and log a warning.

> > By the way, I am not sure what you try to achieve running the exim
> > daemon as a special exim user.
>
> I'm not:

OK, but because you have defined an "exim" user in /etc/passwd, the daemon
running as 18 setuid to exim (see README). That reduces the "danger" of running
as SYSTEM. I have tried to keep this mechanism because exim prides it about
running as root as little as possible, but as we have have just seen, this
is tricky on Windows because a minimum level of privilege is apparently needed.
So let me rephrase the question: is there a particular reason why you have
defined an exim user (in addition to having a mail group for deliveries,
I know that makes a lot of sense).

Pierre