Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH not accessible through java under cygwin for JNI

Ronald,

At 04:10 2003-02-27, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, gilles bourgeois wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> I am currently using my JNI so/dll library under solaris, linux and cygwin.
> with solaris and linux, no problem, I bind to it using load(..) since the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set.
>
> BUT, under cygwin/windows, it does not work and I shall tell the absolute
> path when I load the library.
>
> I have already posted in java.machine, but Randall schulz told me to try in
> this mailing list.

OK, I think we need more info here: see http://cygwin.com/bugs.html and
also tell us:
* what Java VM are you using?
* Why do you expect LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work on Windows?

Gilles, I must reiterate Ronald's suggestion. You've told us far too little to attempt a diagnosis.

Note that Cygwin is not the one that loads the libraries for you - that's
Windows' job. I would be (very) surprised if you were using a VM running
under Cygwin , and that VM uses dlopen() and not LoadLibrary() (in which
case LD_LIBRARY_PATH would work, of course).

And here's what I told him:

Gilles,

I recommend that you address Cygwin issues and problems to the Cygwin
mailing list: see <http://cygwin.com/ml/> and
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin/lists.html> for details. The list you want is
"cygwin," <mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com>.

That said, there's no reason you cannot set an environment variable in Cygwin that will be seen in a Java program launched from Cygwin.

However, I don't think that's the issue. Cygwin, in fact, is a red
herring here. The Windows JVM from Sun is a Windows application, even if
it's launched from Cygwin and even if you're using JNI libraries
compiled under Cygwin using "gcc."

Again, there are some Java users on the Cygwin mailing list and some of
them have produced JNI libraries using gcc. I suggest you ask for help
there.

Randall Schulz

but hey - go ahead - surprise me!

rlc