Re: Algum brasileiro usa Cygwin ?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>
> > Read http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC29
> > Read http://www.cygwin.com/bugs.html
> > Read `man term`
> >
> > and get back to us when you've done that.
>
> I installed rxvt and it not only solved this problem but
> another I reported about screen messing the terminal colors -
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00698.html
>
> I assume the accentuation (copy and paste) problem has been
> there for ages. It never worked since my install with 1.3.10
> almost a year ago.
>
> There's a similar report (the "and that is its big advantage
> over the cygwin-term" part) and another about rxvt under
> XFree86 at
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-03/msg00035.html
>
> Sorry, but for now I'm not going to investigate what's wrong
> with the Cygwin terminal, and there are more capable people to
> do that.

Frédéric,

FWIW, I was able to reproduce your problem on the bash shell in a command
window (on Win2k).  What's interesting, though, is that if the output were
pasted to a regular Command prompt window, it pastes the accented
characters sans the accents.  When pasting into any Cygwin app run from
that prompt, however, the accented characters disappear altogether.  This
may have something to do with the way fhandler_console processes input,
but I don't know enough about that code to even start looking.

One more interesting (though probably unrelated) thing is that the Win2k
Command window (with QuickEdit off) allows one to press the right mouse
button to get a context menu (basically the "Edit" submenu of the main
window menu).  However, when any Cygwin app is run (say, "cat"), the right
button stops working (though it does work as "paste" in QuickEdit mode).
As I said, this is probably unrelated, but might provide a clue, so I
thought it was worth mentioning.
	Igor
P.S. BTW, no offense, I'm just wondering, why a Portuguese subject line on
a mostly English-speaking list?
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune