Re: why is bash trying to access my DNS?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:02:36 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet said:
> Probably because it tries to get your hostname.
> At any rate you should see why if you let strace
> run a little bit more.
>
> In previous versions Cygwin was using GetComputerName.
> Not it uses gethostname, loading wsock.

Thank you, this indeed is the issue, as can be seen from the very next
line after the wsock call:
5495150 5519336 [main] bash 1940 cygwin_gethostname: name Holly

As for the whole 'cygwin-list hates me' thing, i still believe this to be
the case, regardless of Chris's statements, I am subscribed (through a
different address), the list WON'T let me send any mail from that
address, and it won't respond to glabal-allow messages I send from there
(that is a sneakemail account if anyone cares).  I have not gone through
all of those steps with my 'phracturedblue' address, since it is much
harder for me to send mail to someone who hasn't sent me mail from here
(due to a rather complex forwarding scheme),  and I saw no reason to
believe that if it didn't work there, it would work here.  I wouldn't
bring any of this up at all, but my private mail to Chris got bounced as
well, so I couldn't easily send a message to him.

Anyhow, you have all been very helpful, and my problem is now resolved,
so I take my leave again, will unsubscribe from the list, and be on my
merry way.

Thank you for all your help, Cygwin is a wonderful thing!
.Geoff