Re: why is bash trying to access my DNS?

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 23:59, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>
> Exactly what sneaky data can get sent in a DNS request?
>
> Oops. I mean what data can be sneakily sent via a DNS request.
>
> Oops. I mean what data can sneakily be sent via a DNS request.
>
> Randall Schulz

Actually, plenty.  Historically, Bind has been easily hacked.  Although
it's been a while since a good vulnerablity was found in Bind, that
doesn't mean there's not an unknown hole in it which could be exploited.

However, in order to exploit such a hole, the attacking system has to
be, in one way or another, "owned".  Anybody with the presence of mind
to be running ZoneAlarm (or something similar) would certianly know if
there system(s) had been compromised in such a fashion.

{ snip }

--
David Means

Real programs don't eat cache.