Re: cygwin/1.3.20-1 bash child process disassociation behavior weirdness

Please keep replies on the list.

Richard H. Broberg wrote:
>>  From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
>>
>>  An unfortunate consequence of how Windows handles console windows.
>>
>>  I believe it would be possible to write an alternative
>>  implementation of nohup using fork/setsid, or perhaps even hack
>>  some changes into the Cygwin DLL.
>>  But it's now just a configuration issue - it will take some coding.
>>

> hmm...I feared as much.  Can you give me details on 'of how Windows
> handles console windows'?

Not specifically. I have a pretty good idea where I'd go looking to find
out, but I don't have the information at my fingertips.

(I'd look at the MSDN AllocConsole/FreeConsole docs, and follow links from
there)

> Surely it's not
> impossible; the windows' command 'start' basically 'does the right
> thing', and the semantics of 'start' are basically no different than
> 'nohup command &'.

I've a feeling start will still open a console window.

> When you say 'console windows' do you mean
> 'console linked app', as in the /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE silliness in
> win32 link-land?

No, I mean the window Windows provides to run such apps in.

Max.