Re: cygwin setup keeps downgrading perl 5.8 -> 5.6

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> My workaround for setup.exe's behaviour is:
>    build & install perl-5.8 yourself from source.

How about simply explaining that setups default behavior (for the less
adventurous and experienced) has always been to keep your packages at Current
(the recommended version).  Therefore in an attempt to accomplish this it will
try to downgrade to 5.6 which is current.  If you wish to stay at the test
version simply change the status to keep.

Granted it would be nice if I had previously elected to install a test version
that setup accept this decision and leave that version installed, but until the
bug is fixed and to keep folks from attempting to circumvent Setup and creating
more issues - the above might be a better response that circumventing setup or
building their own.

bk