From: Charles Wilson cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:18:35 -0500
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Subject: Re: vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread.  See below.

Randall wrote:
> Does the presence of quote marks indicate you don't consider this a
> problem?
>
> The wording of the "updating ..." and "reverting ..." sentences is
> ambiguous to me. Are you saying that you do see the failure to restore
> the original window contents when Vim is quit or suspended under
> terminfo-5.3-1 and see the proper restore behavior under 5.2-3?

terminfo is a fork from ncurses -- but I try to keep it sync'ed.
Recently, I built ncurses-5.3 for cygwin (it's available as a 'test'
package right now) and while doing so, I resync'ed terminfo to the
ncurses base.

I did this because the ncurses maintainer finally folded in most of
Earnie Boyd's original changes for the "cygwin" terminal.  However, he
did not include all of them.

In my foolishness, I figured that if the upstream maintainer had seen
Earnie's patches, but opted to leave out a few codes, that he must have
had a good reason to do so.  So I followed his lead.  (I never noticed a
problem pre-release, because I do most of my work in an rxvt window; I
did only minimal testing in a "DOSbox" TERM=cygwin shell.  Sorry.
[doesn't everybody use rxvt?? <g>] )

I'll try to figure out which parts are missing, and reinstate them --
look for a new release (of terminfo-) sometime in the next week.

--Chuck