Re: Another GPL violation: Re: Minimalistic Build-Environmentforwin32 (~7.5MB)

Christopher Faylor <cgf-rcm at cygwin dot com> writes:

> Just to be clear: Providing a simple link to the Cygwin sources is
> not adequate.

So you keep saying.  Is that a legal opinion on the meaning of the
license, or a personal request as author of the code?

> If this truly has to descend to the level of having lawyers send
> something, I can do that.  I think that everyone would prefer for
> that not to happen, however.

Actually, I doubt it.  It would be silly to spend money on lawyers to
threaten someone who is GIVING AWAY their software alongside Cygwin.
As long as they have not modified the source code, include proper
credit, provide a link, and are not trying to sell it, why not just
leave them alone?

> We should be trying to make sure that people adhere to the GPL as we
> understand it.

No, you should be trying to make the world a better place.

> One thing is clear: we have to try to enforce the licensing or we
> will weaken our position if someone is so recalcitrant that they
> refuse to honor it.

Is that the advice of your legal counsel?  I know that trademarks have
to be enforced or risk being lost, but I did not know that applied to
copyrights and software licenses.  (At least I know what I do not
know.)

 - Pat