Re: Another GPL violation: Re: Minimalistic Build-Environmentforwin32 (~7.5MB)

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users dot sourceforge dot net
Date: 25 Mar 2003 14:41:16 -0500
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Subject: Re: Another GPL violation: Re: Minimalistic
Build-Environmentforwin32 (~7.5MB)

>>Christopher Faylor <cgf-rcm at cygwin dot com> writes:
>> If this truly has to descend to the level of having lawyers send
>> something, I can do that.  I think that everyone would prefer for
>> that not to happen, however.
>
>Actually, I doubt it.  It would be silly to spend money on lawyers to
>threaten someone who is GIVING AWAY their software alongside Cygwin.
>As long as they have not modified the source code, include proper
>credit, provide a link, and are not trying to sell it, why not just
>leave them alone?

Personal opinions aside, Patrick, you should know that Chris is not
only the project maintainer but a Red Hat employee.  Red Hat takes
their software very seriously and as well as their support of the GPL.
While you may not believe that Red Hat would issue a cease and desist
order based on input from Chris, that doesn't mean that it won't
happen if it needs to.

But I think we all understand your position on the GPL.  Now that you've
had a chance to express it, I hope we can end this thread.  If there are
still parties that are interested in discussing it further, I'd like to
suggest that it be taken off-line.

Larry