Question about running PostgreSql as a service on Win2000

I have the postmaster (and ipc-daemon) running as a service. The
postmaster is running as user postgres and ipc-daemon with
Local system account. As the user postgres, when I am logged into
the account for the user postgres, (the user postgres has an empty
password), I can psql to a database and all is well. As any other
user I cannot psql, I get the following error message:
# psql template1
psql: could not connect to the server: Bad file descriptor

I have not been able to chase down any help on this specific issue
on this after trolling the postgres and cygwin site.

I am missing something and hoped someone may be able to help.

Thanks,
Matthew