Meaning of setegid() call in cygwin

Hi,
setegid() changes the primary group information in the access token.
How does it impact access control on windows?
I guess my question really boils down to-
How is primary group used by windows in access control?

user sid and sids of groups of which user is member is used to determine if user has access to a securable object.

I know that a new object would get primary group from the access token if it is not specified in security descriptor.
But where is primary group of an object used?

How is it different from owner of an object?
What's its purpose?

What does changing primary group of an access token mean?

Thanks,

Vishal