Re: Building cross compiler Linux host -> Cygwin target

Andrew Markebo <andrew dot markebo at telia dot com> writes:

> Saw recently (yesterday?) one person posting what he did.. you should
> be able to find the article in the archive.. ahh subject "Please
> help. gcc 3.2.2 configure problem or what?"

Yes, saw it, but it deals with CVS version.  I started to check it out
but even at -z9 after a while my 33.6k connection began to yell
obscenities.

> |     $ i686-pc-cygwin-gcc hello.c
> |     /home/bard/workspace/cygwin//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/
> |     2.95.3-10/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -luser32
> |     collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Is the libuser32.lib library really in the gcc source? ahh nope it is
> delivered in the package "w32api"! Maybe can grab that from a already
> existing cygwin installation, or download the source and compile.

I suppose it's about time for me to feel silly, very silly.

Thanks a lot Andrew, you saved that part of my sanity that two days
(and nights) of configure/make had almost blown out.

> || Does anybody have an idea about what is going wrong in building
> | libiberty.a?  I found messages about libiberty.a in the
>
> It seemed as it wasn't needed, if you do make -k it will hopefully
> chew on.

make -k all results in:

checking whether the C compiler (/home/bard/workspace/cygwin/src/
 gcc2-2.95.3-10/build/gcc/xgcc -B/home/bard/workspace/cygwin/src/
 gcc2-2.95.3-10/build/gcc/ -B/home/bard/workspace/cygwin/
i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
 cannot create executables.
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

However `make all-gcc && make install-gcc' works and produces the
cross compiler, so I don't really know what else it's trying to build
(and probably don't need to care).

I'll repost the script and put it somewhere online, I guess I won't be
the only one who bangs his head against this.