RE: complete.tcsh doesn't handle spaces in $HOME

>>> "Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)" <garbage_collector at telia dot com> 04/02/03 11:35AM >>>
>>> From: cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com [mailto:cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com]On Behalf
>> Of Aaron Humphrey

>> An easy workaround for this problem is just to wrap all of the
>> $HOME/filename conditions in double quotes, which would probably
>> be a good idea in a future release of tcsh.  Once I did this in
>> complete.tcsh, tcsh started up just fine.

>My experience is:
> You can expect to have the exact same problem with quite a few
>scripts and other software.

>My advice:
> Stick to [A-Za-z0-9-_.] characters in filenames, settings and such.

>Sad to say, this does apply for almost any other "OS" too `:-P

Yes, I realize that it is not good to have spaces in directories, but it happens in a Windows
environment, e.g. "Program Files" being a common default.  I had no problems with my local
user name having a space in it until now.  Luckily I am due for a new computer and I have
discussed the issue with our technical manager so we'll move into Novell-style names
(e.g. "humphreya")for our local computers as well.

> Exception:
>  Umlauted, careted and apostrophed characters does work, given that
> the correct settings has been provided. Note though that setting has
> to be provided for many programs separately.
>  e.g. Bash, ls, emacs, ...

> This is a true pain in the ass... I wish everybody could stick to
> iso-8859-1 or its siblings.

Well, that's probably another issue.  It does seem like a kind of discrimination against people
who can use accented characters in every other aspect of life, but not on their computer,
and all the big companies seem to be moving towards i18n...

--
--Aaron Humphrey
Programmer, Kakari Systems Ltd. <http://www.kakari.com>